Monday, January 10, 2011

These Long Nights.

I find that when I'm working night shifts, my brain processes things differently than during regular day hours. I'm not sure if I'm going crazy, or if its just that it’s quieter, less busy, less stress in general. Reading a close friend of mine's blog tonight, I realized that a lot of what I say and do impacts people strongly. I have always had good intentions when speaking to my friends, however sometimes, I can see how information shared, can be perceived as harsh or judging.


This blog is to share strength points for those of you who read it. I am not perfect by any means, nor do I think I am, however I do believe I have a lot of great insight, and a lot of good ideas to help people.


See, I am someone who loves opinions, from everyone, even if I don't wholly agree with them. My favourite thing about them, is that even if you like some of it, and not all of it, you can pick and choose what you like, and discard the rest. I have learned as much as I have because I have read scholars opinions, or life coaches, psychologists, friends and family's opinions. Doctors, and lawyers, teachers, acquaintances, everyone in life has something that they can positively share with you, and other things that you can discard. The gift is learning which is stuff that is worth carrying along with you, and which is worth dumping in your mental trash can.


Great applications for advice.

Don't take anything personally. 

This is a hard one, especially if they're talking about something personal to you. If they're someone who cares about you, they're not out to hurt you, or to give you bad advice, there will always be something positive in it that you can take away with you. (even in the harshest of comments, even if it seemed like it was intended to hurt)
The point is, that you can gain great personal truths from learning to step back, and not take things personally.


Don't change yourself just because someone told you to  

When people give advice that seems to tell you to "change" who you are, remember, that if you are happy where you are, you can make adjustments - not changes - and not everything someone tells you, even if put into practical use is going to work for you. Pick and choose, mix and match.


Even if advice is applied, and it isn't for you/doesn't work/kind of sucks, you haven't failed 


This is a big one for me. I remember years ago, when I would see a psychologist, school one or otherwise, I would always walk out of there going.. "damn, I'm going to make all these changes, you'll see, everyone will be so amazed." True changes to your life take years to accomplish. It’s a growth, not a "I'm going to wake up tomorrow and everyone will see I'm superduperawesomehappygoodness". You have to put practice into the things you believe in, everything in life is little habits. It takes 6 weeks to drop, or learn a new one. Accept that everyones life paths take time to evolve. I had to when I realized that little things I did, or wanted to change, didn't come without effort.


You are wonderful, regardless of what people tell you. You. Yes, I'm talking to you. To the children, and mothers, and fathers, and friends, and sisters, and brothers. You're all teachers. What you do and say has powerful effects on other people, and what people say to you, should be taken seriously, but never personally. Reach out in love when you speak to whomever you speak to.


The people in your life who love you for you, and give you advice, usually is only because they want the best for you. Not to change you, but to enhance your life with things that have helped them. It took me years to realize this about my parents even. I always thought they were judging me, but they only ever wanted what was best (they just didn't like the road I took to get where I am).


I am happy with who I am, comfortable in my natural self, and all things I take on in my life. I implore you do find all the things you love about yourself too, become one with who you are, because baby, it’s a long life - don't you deserve to be happy?
Namaste.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget to empty your mental trash can...some things don't need to be carried with you.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it positive!